IN THE HOURS BEFORE DAWN
The sun was hanging low
While my son laid his head
Upon his white soft bed
In the hours before dawn
My view of him obscured
By the plastic cage he is in
Where can I begin?
In the hours before dawn
I caught a glimpse of a smile
Which made it all right
In a pale lit cage tonight
In the hours before dawn
What are you dreaming about?
On your one-week birthday?
Are they treating you okay?
In the hours before dawn?
You came here early, ready and strong
You have come this far
My shining star
In the hours before dawn
I am proud of you
I love you dear
Want to hold you near
In the hours before dawn
Do you know who I am?
Do you hear me sing to you?
I know you will love me too
In the hours before dawn
I touch you once again
Before I leave for the night
I must trust you will be all right
In the hours before dawn
Poem created by Robert Gough for Jonathan Uriel Gough
